Monday, August 9, 2010

REMEMBERING PATRICIA NEAL

How could one not adore Patricia Neal? I first met her when she arrived from London to portray a character based on my own mother in a television special called “The Homecoming.”

True to her dedication to her work she had memorized the script word for word. She asked for one change which I happily made. The character she was to play I had originally named Dorrie. Pat revered the role and asked if I would change the name to Olivia after the daughter she had lost. And the name remained Olivia through the long running sequel to “The Homecoming” when the series became “The Waltons.”

The scenes between Richard Thomas, who played the young mountain boy who aspired to be a writer and Patricia who portrayed his mother were especially moving. No one in the my family had ever gone to college much less to have an ambition so foreign to our backwoods way of life. Nevertheless Patricia captured just the right attitude of doubt and wonder and support of this unlikely son. Richard in turn was a stunning partner in the scenes.

Most adult actors would rather face a firing squad than work with a cute child. The youngsters who played the Walton children weren’t just cute. They were accomplished actors posing as children. Every one of them should have been arrested and sent to jail for scene stealing. But Patricia was a pro and she gave each of the children the same respect she gave to her fellow adult actors, and their scenes are extraordinary to this day.

All of the exterior scenes of “The Homecoming” were to be filmed in the Grand Tetons. Fielder Cook, the director, in making out his schedule, decided to lighten Pat’s work load when possible. So he arranged for Pat’s exterior scenes to be filmed on the CBS backlot here in town. Pat wouldn’t hear of it and insisted that she make the trip to Wyoming, and did several of the most demanding and compelling scenes there. In one scene, where Pat takes a long walk along a county road, the script called for snow. But the skies were clear. There was not a cloud in the sky. Fielder Cook, ever striving for miracles, bowed his head, and said prayerfully, “Now Sir, if You would be so kind!” And snow began to fall!

Another memory of Pat that I treasure came about when my son, during a college vacation was visiting London. I gave him Pat’s telephone, told him to call her and give her my love. When Scott phoned, Pat insisted that he come to tea. She sent Ronald Dahl down to London to pick up Scott and bring him out to Great Missenden. I doubt if Scott has had such a distinguished chauffeur since, or such good company at tea.

Some years later Pat was in town on her way to Vancouver to make a movie. She let me know that she was here and I informed her that my mother was coming to visit. “Oh, I want to meet her,” Pat exclaimed. But my mother was to arrive the day after Pat was to leave. “I’ll just have to change my schedule” declared Pat. So the day my mother arrived I took her over to the Beverly Wilshire where Pat was staying. Pat met us at the door and said to me “Shoo. I already know you. I want to know your mother. Come back later.” About an hour and a half later when I knocked on the door they were still in animated conversation.

My mother was a country woman who had spent most of her life having children and nurturing a huge family. Her life was a dramatic contrast to the life of a legendary film actress. I was curious.

“What did you and Pat talk about?” I asked my mother on our way home.

“Oh,” my mother replied, “Lots of things, but mostly about our children.”

Two great ladies whose lives briefly touched. It was a privilege to know each of them.

34 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post and tribute to two wonderful women in your life. I hadn't heard that Patricia Neal had died, but loved her portrayal as Olivia.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Earl:

    Thank you for your remembrance of Patricia Neal. I enjoyed her performance in "The Homecoming". It seems fitting that her daughter's name was Olivia, because it matches the name you used for the mother in your novels.

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a beautiful tribute to a beautiful lady. You were blessed to have known her. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this wonderful post, Earl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have loved her ever since I saw her, as Olivia Walton, when I was 10 years old. She was stellar. A beautiful tribute, thank you, Mr. Hamner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very touching! Thank you Earl.

    Jim Herndon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Patricia Neal. Especially her voice. She was an EXCELLENT actress, and esp. in The Homecoming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paricia Neal was unique and very talented. She was the roles she portrayed.

    I am glad the opportunity came to her to portray your mom in the Homecoming, she was superb.

    Thank you Earl for the time and effort you spend on this blogspot,it's like learning over the fence and having a chat with you.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patricia Neal was my favorite actress long before she originated the role of your mother in "The Homecoming." Who can forget her Oscar-winning role in "Hud" opposite Paul Newman? It makes memories of her equally special knowing she was also kind and gracious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the memorories. I remember well the scene when she was trudging toward Godsey's store, but I think my favorite Patricia Neal line in The Homecoming was: "Grandma, if John doesn't get back with some money, all we're going to have for Christmas dinner is my applesauce cake. And we're not even gonna have that if I don't get a move on."

    That was classic and authentic as all get-out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I especially liked the story about the visit between Pat and your mother as well as why the character based on your mom got to be named Olivia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful remembrance of an actress whose work I loved, whose personal strength I admired, and whose presence on earth I will deeply miss. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very sad of the passing of Patricia Neal,She was fantastic as the mother Olivia in The Homecoming. I watch The Homecoming every Christmas, for me this movie is very special. Patricia Neal became one of my favorite Actors.She truly was one of a kind and I often wished I had the chance to of met her. There are very few actors that have the talent that she had. She will me missed and I will always keep a special place in my heart for her, and will always remember her especially when I watch The Homecoming at Christmas time. Bless her in Heaven. Thank-you Patricia Neal for what you brought to my life. Sincerely A. Joseph Callahan, Toronto, Canada...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Patricia Neal had such a wonderful aura about her. I had the opportunity to meet her a few years back when the "Waltons Radio" was being returned to the Smithsonian Institute. It had been on loan at the Walton Museum in Schuyler, Va. Ms. Neal had many fond memories of "The Homecoming" and shared them with us. She openly greeted anyone who came to her with personal questions. She will truly be missed.
    Jerry & Becky Knop, Reisterstown, MD.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am blessed by the beautiful memories you share, each full of power, poise, and love. Both ladies clearly leave us with outstanding examples of how we should approach life. I never want to lose the ability or desire to "just be me!"

    Blessed to have traveled by here,

    Andrea Bowling Perdue

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also enjoyed Patricia Neal's performance in the wholesome movie, "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had the pleasure of meeting Patricia Neal when she came to Auburn, NY last December to perform Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory" with Joel Vig. What a wonderful show! She even let us get her autograph, take pictures with her, AND accepted a Christmas Cactus from us. She told me that she was going to take on the plane so she could bring it home. What a lady!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, Again Earl

    Sorry To Have Gotten Word Like the Rest Of The World, Of The Passing Of Such A Lovely Spirit As Patricia.

    I Wanted To Pass The Following Information To You. In The Unlikely Event You Needed To Update Any Of This On Your Blog Or Pass It On Elsewhere.

    There Was A Correction In: Patricas' Obituary As Follows:

    An obituary on Tuesday and in some copies on Monday about the actress Patricia Neal misspelled the middle name of her sister, who survives her. She is Margaret Ann VandeNoord, not Margaret Anne VandeNoord.

    You Can Find The Full Article Here:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/movies/09neal.html?ref=obituaries

    Gods Speed My Dear Friend !



    JEFF

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all of you work. I have a fan of your for years. The Walton's was the best show out there . I have all 9 season and the moves collection. The Home coming is the only one that i don't have . I am looking for it. I love Patricia acting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What wonderful blogs you write, what amazing stories! I loved the Waltons, and your books. Coming from a family where I did not get nurturing, the Waltons gave me a sense of family, love, and encouragement. It was the family I have always wanted and you gave that to me. I have to thank you for that wonderful gift and for helping me become a loving, nurturing, understanding mother that I am today.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a jewel of an actress Ms Neal was. After her stroke she gave monies to start a rehabilitation center here in Knoxville,Tn. It is called "the Patrica Neal Rehabilatation Center"It works to rehabilitate stroke victims. She was and will be remembered for her generosity to her home town of Knoxville.I am proud to have her name associated with this area.Through her contribution to mankind she will live on....Patsy from Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing, Amigo.
    I could see Pat's face and hear her voice as you spoke of her.

    ReplyDelete
  23. sorry for you loss, earl. for everyone's loss. i loved Ms. Neal in "The Homecoming". loved the movie and loved her.

    miss you earl! next time i'm in LA i'm calling you....

    jeff

    ReplyDelete
  24. Earl,

    These two remarkable women touched many, many lives. Patricia brought to life and fully embodied the woman I always imagined as your mother. Your mother's support and encouragement, in turn, allowed you to introduce both of them to generations who would grow to love them like family.

    Thank you so much for allowing us into yours.
    Jody from the NC group

    ReplyDelete
  25. Earl, that was a Great Rememberance you had of Patricia Neal, I met her on several different occasions at her hometown of Knoxville, Tenn. she was a very gracious lady, she told me doing The Homecoming was a wonderful experience for her even though she was in pain from the strokes she had. I ask her if she would sign my copy of THE Homecoming she signed it "the first Olivia" she will be surely missed especially by all the folks in Knoxville at the Patricia Neal Rehab center for stroke victims. I have a extra copy of her death announcement i will be glad to send you. you may contact me at mayberry1956@yahoo.com with a mailing address and i will send it to you. Michael Lowery

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful tribute to Ms. O'Neal and your mother. Two beautiful ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I feel so privileged to have read the blog about Ms Neal. She led a very wonderful life, and her passing leaves such a mark on the world.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Patricia Neal was a great actress.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I once heard a long time ago that, the network was skittish about Grandma exclaiming "Oh Good Lord" on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mr. Hamner,

    what a lovely tribute. thank you for sharing your memories of her with us.

    blessings.
    erika

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have enjoyed watching Patricia Neal in various movies. Her movements and speech seemed measured. Each step seemed purposeful and each work weighed before being spoken. She seemed so very classy no matter what role she was playing. How wonderful she got to spend time with your mother and your mother with her.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for sharing your memories of a fine actress.

    ReplyDelete
  33. RE: Olivia...wasn't that the name of Mama in Spencer's Mountain as well?

    ReplyDelete